Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Canning, A Lost Art: Man Pleasing Chili

I created this recipe specifically with my husband in mind. Not only is he a chili kind of man but he's also a spicy food lover. And the love of spicy foods definitely runs in the family. My 18 month old will eat jalapeno peppers AND LIKE THEM! I like spicy but not too spicy so this chili was just perfect for our family. It did get a little bit spicy at the end but I toughed it out!

(My) Man('s) Pleasing Chili


Ingredients

6 slices bacon
2 pounds ground spicy Italian sausage*
1 large onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 red jalapeno pepper, chopped (With seeds)
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
½ tsp kosher salt
4 T. chili powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 T. cumin
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp basil
2 12-ounce bottles of beer (I used dos equis amber beer because that’s what we had on hand)
1 cup red wine
1 cup vegetable broth
1 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 16 oz bag corn
Shredded cheddar cheese, sliced scallions, sour cream and bacon, for topping (optional)

*I have an awesome local grocery store that does gourmet sausages and their spicy Italian pork sausage is our utmost favorite! It was perfect in this recipe.

For a less spicy version of this recipe. Use mild Italian sausage, omit the red jalapeno pepper (Or you can use a green one or don't put in the seeds) and omit the cayenne pepper. That should mild it out.

Directions
  1. Cook or bake bacon until crisp, reserving bacon grease.
  2. Chop onion, red bell pepper, red jalapeno and garlic. Add to large pot.
  3. Add 2 T reserved bacon grease to vegetables and sauté until tender.
  4. Cook sausage in a frying pan with 2 T reserved bacon grease.
  5. Add tomato sauce, kosher salt, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, paprika, oregano and basil to the vegetable mixture. Cook until it’s a thick paste.
  6. Add beer and wine to vegetable mixture stir and then simmer until the liquid is half it’s original volume.
  7. Once beer and wine has simmered down add sausage with liquid. Simmer mixture for 8 minutes or until thick.
  8. Add tomatoes, vegetable broth, black beans and kidney beans
  9. Simmer on stove top for an hour or until chili is thick.
  10. Add corn and simmer until corn is hot.
  11. Serve hot and top with bacon, shredded cheese, sour cream and green onions.




When my hubby came home from work and I showed him what I was making, he was a bit skeptical. He thought that the combinations of flavors wouldn't work and wasn't sure about using sausage instead of beef. But when the moment of truth came and he took that first bite he lit up and raved about how delicious it was! His exact words were "The ingredients seemed strange but once they're combined it's like a burst of amazing flavor." Success! He even gave me a great honor and told me that he'd enter it in a chili cook off. He really likes competing in those! I hope I win something :D



Next up is canning tomato sauce! Which turned out AMAZING! Thanks for reading and Happy Canning!

2 comments:

  1. Wow that looks so good! Tell me can you make this in a crockpot? It would be a lot easier for me if I could just throw everything together in a crockpot and let it simmer. My hubs would devour this whole. Thanks for the recipe and your blog is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question! Here's what I'd recommend. Bake bacon until crispy. Add bacon grease and sausage to crock pot. Break sausage up with fork. Add veggies, spices, tomato sauce, beer, wine, quartered tomato's and vegetable broth. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or until meat is cooked and liquids are simmered down. Make sure the sausage is all broken up and mixed into chili. Add beans and corn cook on high until chili is thick or serve when beans and corn are hot. I wouldn't add the beans at the beginning with fear that they might disintegrate and the corn could become soggy. I hope that helps. I'm really guessing at this though. I'll try it this way the next time I make it. Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete