Friday, January 25, 2013

Canning A Lost Art: Cheesy Bacon Squash

Welcome back to my canning series! We've just frozen squash and I'm definitely looking forward to using it.This is the first time I've frozen my homegrown squash. So I'm excited to have squash year round to make all of my delicious recipes! I love the fact that frozen squash tastes so much like fresh. Amazing! I mean with frozen food you have to give yourself some leeway to expect it to not taste exactly like fresh. But I've had this dish with fresh squash and it tasted the same with frozen. This recipe is a side that my mother-in-law made for us. It was really delicious and I would have never thought of putting these flavors together!



Cheesy Bacon Squash

Ingredients

1 Cup zucchini
1 Cup yellow squash
6 Slices bacon
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Italian seasoning
1 Cup cheddar cheese




  1. Cook bacon in a large frying pan. After bacon is cooked remove and drain bacon grease reserving about two tablespoons in pan.
  2.  Thaw squash until you can break it up into pieces and add to frying pan.
  3. Cut bacon, with scissors, into bite sized pieces and add to squash.
  4. Season squash with salt, pepper, garlic powder and italian seasoning till desired taste.
  5. Cook mixture until hot. 
  6. About five minutes before you're ready to eat sprinkle cheese on top of squash and let melt on low heat. Serve hot and enjoy!


This turned out more amazing then I remembered it was so delicious. The only let down is that this side dish isn't the most amazingly healthy veggie side in the world. So I highly recommend having a large salad alongside to make you feel slightly better about yourself :P Next is zucchini bread and snap am I excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment